Carfentanil is an analog synthetic opioid. It is the most potent commercially used opioid in the world. It is 100 times stronger than morphine and 50 times more potent than heroin . It is an analog of the syntheticopioid analgesic fentanyl. carfentanil is 100 times as potent as the same amount of fentanyl, 5,000 times as potent as a unit of heroin and 10,000 times as potent .
Carfentanil was first synthesized in 1974 by a team of chemists at Janssen Pharmaceutica which included Paul Janssen.
- Carfentanil, a synthetic opioid, is a white powdery substance that looks like it could be cocaine or heroin. Drug dealers mix it with heroin to presumably make the heroin stronger.
- It is 10,000 times more potent than morphine and 100 times more potent .
- The drug is also used to tranquilize elephants and other large mammals.
- This drug is so powerful it poses a significant threat to first responders and law enforcement personnel who touch it by accident. In addition, people can overdose on carfentanil quickly. Multiple doses of the anti-overdose drug Narcan may not be effective.
- Users exposed to carfentanil can experience dizziness, clammy skin, shallow breathing, heart failure and more.
Health professionals are increasingly concerned about the potential for escalated public health consequences of recreational use .